Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mexican Rice

I found this recipe on one of my favorite websites for recipes: The Pioneer Woman. Everything I have made from her website is FAB, and I highly recommend spending a few hours reading her blog.

Anyway, this Mexican Rice recipe is a part of the Mexican Lasagna recipe listed here (I will post my version of the lasagna, soon). I have altered the Mexican Rice to suit our tastes, so without further ado, here's the Y Family version of Mexican Rice...(don't make fun of my photography! This is a food blog...not a picture taking blog! Haha!)

Mexican Rice

Ingredients:
2 C rice (I use Premium Minute)
2 C chicken broth (I like reduced sodium)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes (I use canned w/chiles)
1 can whole kernel corn or fresh corn
1 package taco seasoning
1-2 tsp minced garlic (I use the kind in the jar with the blue top)
1 can black beans (optional)

Assembly:
Cook rice as directed on the package (I use Minute Premium rice, so 2 C rice + 2 C chicken broth, in the micro for 8 minutes).

While the rice is cooking, put the chopped onion, garlic & tomatoes in a large pan and cook over medium heat (I use a wok). Add your taco seasoning and mix. I tend to cook until the onions are just tender (not brown).

Add the corn (and black beans, if you want) and stir again. Cook until heated through.

Mix the tomato/corn/onion/other yummies with the rice.

Serve as a side dish, or in burritos and tacos. (Or, use in the Mexican Lasagna recipe...soon to come!)

***Note*** This recipe is super easy to customize. I tried to list everything we used in our version, but play around with it and make it your own. I have a feeling this recipe will be ever-evolving in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin