Sunday, January 18, 2009

Buying & Eating Organic?

or⋅gan⋅ic [awr-gan-ik]

–adjective

noting or pertaining to a class of chemical compounds that formerly comprised only those existing in or derived from plants or animals, but that now includes all other compounds of carbon.

***

I've started making Ben's baby food - it's a lot cheaper, and it's really fun. I asked for (and received - thanks to my fab in-laws!) a Magic Bullet for Christmas. I'd heard it was a great tool to have in the kitchen, and I knew it would be a big help in blending up fruits and veggies for Ben. I've made quite a few things for him: carrots, avocado, green beans, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, bananas, mango (one of his new favorites), and apple juice ice cubes. (I've made him more, but I can't remember it all!) I steam or bake each fruit/veggie, then blend it & put it in ice cube trays to freeze. Once it's frozen, I put it in labeled Ziplocs for storage. It's so easy - and like I said, much cheaper than buying Gerber, Earth's Best, or any other packaged baby food out there. (And less waste, too...though I do like those cute little glass jars...)

Because of my new-found domestic goddess-ness in the baby food making department, I've started to really pay attention to where the food I'm making (for all of us) is coming from & what is being used on them. (Sidenote: I'm super excited to get to the Farmer's Market here in Madison this summer and buy some locally grown, organic items.) Unfortunately, organic items are not always the most economical option (yesterday, we saw Roundy's Organic Milk for about 3x the price of regular Roundy's Milk).

I found this great list online of items you should buy an organic version of, and items that don't need to be organic. It's a list I am planning on bringing with me next time I go to the store - to help avoid the yucky stuff, and to save money. Click on the heading of each list to read the entire article, which describes why you should buy organic of certain foods.

Top 12 Foods to Buy/Eat Organic

1. Meat
2. Milk
3. Coffee
4. Peaches
5. Apples
6. Sweet Bell Peppers
7. Celery
8. Strawberries
9. Leafy Greens
10. Grapes
11. Potatoes
12. Tomatoes

10 Foods You Don't Have to Buy/Eat Organic
1. Asparagus
2. Avocado
3. Bananas
4. Broccoli
5. Clean Cabbage
6. Kiwi
7. Mango
8. Onions
9. Papaya
10. Pineapple

Also, if you're looking for more information on homemade baby food, check out Wholesome Babyfood. This website has a lot of great information & recipes - it has been a great resource to me!

Happy (organic) eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin