Sunday, September 13, 2009

Crockpot Shredded Chicken (for Tacos)

I love tacos, but sometimes, you gotta deviate from the typical beef/taco seasoning filler, right? Right. That's where this recipe comes in. You know, I think this recipe might even be easier than the ground beef/taco seasoning mixture, too!


Crockpot Shredded Chicken (for Tacos)

Serves about 4...or Matt, Ben and I for dinner (with leftovers)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 - 2 lbs frozen chicken breasts (yep, frozen. Told you this was easy!)
1 can diced tomatoes w/chiles (or a jar of salsa, if you happen to have that laying around instead)
1 package taco seasoning
Chicken broth (or water)

Assembly:
Put the chicken breasts in a crockpot. Top the chicken with the diced tomatoes or salsa and taco seasoning.

Pour chicken broth or water around the edges of the chicken (I try to not pour it directly on the chicken, so as to not "wash" off all of the seasonings). I typically add enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the crockpot (so, maybe a cup?). Don't worry if you don't add a lot of liquid...when the chicken defrosts and cooks, it'll produce some juices, too.

Cover & set on low for about 6-7 hours.

About a half hour before it's ready to serve, I shred the chicken in the crockpot. This lets it marinate in the tomato/seasoning mixture a bit.


We serve this with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, lettuce and onion. It's also really good in taco salads (especially as leftovers! And cold!), enchiladas and nachos. Mmmm, nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin