Thursday, February 18, 2010

Buttered Herb Rolls

My most awesome mother in law got me a cast iron skillet for Christmas, after I dropped many not so subtle  hints.  I was so excited to get this skillet - you don't understand.  Since Christmas, both Matt and I have used the skillet quite a bit - to make everything from typical hamburgers or eggs to...rolls.

Rolls?  Rolls.  Buttered herb rolls, to be more precise.

Read on.

 
Buttered Herb Rolls

Ingredients:
Frozen, unbaked dinner rolls (I used Rhodes White, in the orange bag)
Melted butter
Fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped (you don't like rosemary?  Blasphemy!  I mean, try thyme or something.)
Coarse sea salt

Assembly:
Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray (or coat with olive oil).  Place frozen rolls in the skillet - make sure to leave enough room for rising.  Cover and let rise for several hours.  (I covered with a dishtowel for about...5 hours.)

After rising, brush the rolls with melted butter.  Sprinkle with the chopped rosemary.  Brush with more butter.  Add the salt.  

Bake according to package directions (ours took about 20 minutes until they were a nice golden brown).  Serve on the table in the skillet.

Leave room for the rest of your dinner.

(Also, these re-heat really well!  Usually, I don't like re-heated bread, but I popped the leftovers in the microwave for 25 seconds & they were pretty good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin